The City of Loveland Building Department is a one-stop shop for all of your property, construction, and building permit questions — from building a home to constructing a fence. A building permit is a license that grants permission to start construction of a building project. The permit allows for enforcement of local building codes, which have been adopted by the city, state, and county. A permit also ensures construction will protect the public health, safety, and welfare of Loveland residents. Building and Zoning permit forms and documents are available online.
Apply for a Permit
There are two options to apply for a permit. You can apply in person at the Building & Zoning Department (City Hall, 120 W. Loveland Ave.). Many of the permit forms and documents you will need are available online to print in advance.
Or you can apply for a permit online. The department uses a digital platform called Accela to track online permits. Click here to create an account and start the process. Once all reviews are complete, you will be able to pay for your permit online or in person.
Before applying online, please make sure you are within the City of Loveland's jurisdiction. The Loveland mailing address is five times larger than the city's corporation limits, making it possible for many people to have a Loveland mailing address but not necessarily reside within city limits. If you have any questions, please call (513) 707-1447.
Commercial Permit Instructions:
- If you are applying for any commercial permit, you will need to drop off 2 sets of hard-copy print plans to the Building Department and 1 set to the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department must review building plans for any new building or renovation in accordance with local fire and building codes. You may review the Pre-Construction Checklist and fee schedule at lsfd.org.
Residential Permit Instructions:
- If you are applying for a permit to build an addition OR a new build, you will need to drop off 2 sets of hard-copy print plans to the Building Department.
Locations & Hours to Drop Off Prints:
Building & Zoning Department: City Hall, 120 W Loveland Ave.
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. M-F
Loveland-Symmes Fire Department: Loveland Safety Center, 126 S. Lebanon Road
8 a.m. – 4 p.m. M-F
- The City of Loveland adopts the Residential Code of Ohio (R.C.O.) for residential projects and the Ohio Building Code (O.B.C.) for commercial projects.
- The City of Loveland adopts the International Pool and Spa code (PDF)
- Hamilton County Division of Building and Infrastructure Schedule of Fees. Click Here
- The City of Loveland contracts with the Inspection Bureau, Inc. (IBI) for all electrical permits and inspections.
- The City also contracts with Hamilton County Plumbing for all plumbing permits and inspections. Click Here
- For property maintenance complaints or other requests, please access our request tracker.
The city's Chief Building Official holds regular office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. to answer building related questions. No appointment necessary. Homeowners are welcome to call or visit City Hall to have their questions answered about the requirements and permit process regarding deck projects, shed construction, accessory building construction, etc.